Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Indexing

So, Tyler and I have discovered indexing.

This is where you download a scan of some record, something like a page out of the 1910 census, and you decipher what is written. My mom has told us about indexing several times, and it always sounded like fun, but I was really hesitant to get into it because I thought it would be difficult to get started.

On Superbowl Sunday, Tyler called my mom and found out how to get started. Turns out, it was REALLY easy and fast to set up!!! On Sunday night, we stayed up until 2 am indexing names. It's been about like that every day since. I LOVE it! It's like a puzzle. AND, I love reading about people (even just the small amount that was recorded) in these records. I've seen lots of neat names, come across people who were married 4 times by their 40th birthday (back in 1910!), indexed death records for children who died very young from diarrhea, and learned a lot about the importance of good handwriting.

I am very excited to fill out the census this year so someone can learn about me in 100 years!!!!

No comments: