Olive Garden is my ABSOLUTE most favorite restaurant ever. Whenever Tyler asks me where I want to go for a nice dinner, I ALWAYS say Olive Garden. We go for birthdays, anniversary's, and any time we get coupons. Even though we go as often as possible (which honestly isn't much because it's too expensive), I still get the exact same thing every time. Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken on the side. I've been looking for an Alfredo recipe that rivals theirs, but I haven't really been able to find one. Also, ALL that fat is pretty bad. Then just a month or two ago, my aunt casually mentions that she has the OLIVE GARDEN recipe for Alfredo that she got from a friend who worked there. SHARE THE WEALTH. She gave me the recipe, and it couldn't be simpler.
Alfredo Sauce:
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. canned and grated Parmesan cheese
1 cube butter
1/2 t. garlic (or 1 clove)
salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter with garlic, add cream and cheese, stir until thick.
This sauce tastes UNBELIEVABLE!!! Now I don't make it exactly like this. Here are my changes:
- I use margarine instead of butter (of ocurse)
- I like the flavor of real parmesan, but if you use real parmesan, it takes 1 cup, so I usually do 1/2 of each (so 1/2 c. real parmesan, 1/4 c. grated parmesan) to cut costs
- I use FAT FREE half and half. To make the sauce a little thicker, use some corn starch with 1/2 and 1/2. Can anyone tell me how they make fat free 1/2 and 1/2? I'm not complaining, I pretty much think it's the greatest invention since sliced bread.
Oh, and one other amazing thing about this sauce- it totally doesn't separate like the Olive Garden kind. Ever had left-overs from O.G. and tried to reheat them in the microwave? The butter comes right out of the sauce. Not with this one!
P. S. I always get my chicken on the side because it seems like I get more Alfredo sauce if I do. Tyler and I will get the exact same thing, but my chicken is on the side, and I always have extra sauce to dip a breakstick or two into. Tyler usually needs some of my sauce. Also, I think the hot chicken has the same effect as the microwave, it seems to pull out the butter and make the sauce very greasy instead of creamy. Long story short, chicken on the side, please.



1 comment:
Mmmm... I love homemade alfredo! Trying out new recipes is so much fun, isn't it? :) Also, we would love to get together with you guys too! After we got back from North Carolina Aaron was sick for a week, then I was sick for a week... otherwise, I would have called to plan something. Anyway, this will be a pretty short trip (mainly business-related in theory :), so we'll have have to plan something soon!
P.S. We made an offer on a house in Cedar Hills (by Pleasant Grove), but we're waiting for the owner to get things sorted out. We have our fingers crossed! :)
Post a Comment