Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Has it really been 5 years already?

Today marks 5 years since our first date. Can you believe it's been that long? I sure can't, the time has just flown by!

Tyler and I met on hotornot.com. I realize this isn't the most reputable website, but it sure worked! :) After talking on the phone once a week for a couple of weeks (Tyler would usually call me on his way home from work on Fridays), we decided to meet. Because the picture I had on the website was of me sitting down in a funny looking chair, Tyler assumed I was in a wheelchair. For our first date, he invited me to go rock climbing, just to see what I'd say. When I said, "Yes! That sound like fun!" he thought, "Huh, OK, I guess we'll see how this goes!" He also knew I was studying Construction and assumed this also meant I was a pretty rough and butch girl. Haha, am I lucky he decided to meet me anyway or what? Here are the pictures we each had up on the site at the time that we met. Isn't Tyler a HOTTIE?!?!? :)




We planned to meet at the Gateway in Salt Lake. I thought this sounded like a good plan, because there would be a lot of people around in case he turned out to be really scary. When I was in the parking lot looking for a spot, I called him. I actually passed him while I was looking, so I picked him up so he could help me look. I immediately regretted this decision. I meet him in a crowded place only to instantly invite him into my car? Brilliant, right? What can I say? He was SMOKING HOT!!! :) So we found me a parking spot and went in to have dinner at the food court. Panda Express sounded good, so we went for that. We ordered the same thing (except I had fried rice and Tyler had chow mien). Awww, how cute. :) On the way to sit I must have carried the tray very adeptly because Tyler asked if I had been a waitress.

Our next stop was rock climbing. We both decided we wanted pictures, so we ran back to his car to grab a camera. Boy am I glad we documented the event! I changed into my "rock climbing" clothes. PLEASE don't think I started the date out in spandex pants and a grubby t-shirt. A friend told me I should wear comfortable and flexible clothes to go rock climbing. I went first. I made it almost all the way up, but toward the top, the handholds got further apart, and I just couldn't reach them with my short arms. Tyler went next, and made it all the way up pretty easily.





After rock climbing,we talked and decided that we didn't think the date was quite over, so Tyler suggested a short hike up to "This is the Place" peak overlooking Salt Lake. I'm pretty sure this was to test my athletic abilities. We rode in Tyler's car up to the trail head (I must have decided he was "safe" by this point). Then, before we started hiking, we played Frisbee and hacky sack. I wasn't very good at hacky sack. Then we headed up the hill for the hike. I was doing great and TYLER was the one who got tired and started breathing hard! He must have been thoroughly impressed by my hiking skills. ;) When we got to the top, we sat down to enjoy the view. While we were sitting there, a mouse ran out of the rocks and got pretty close to us. I guess he was expecting me to jump up and scream or something. I'd had mice as pets growing up, so I just said, "oh look, a mouse!" without all the expected hysterics. Once again, he was thoroughly impressed. :) After it had gotten pretty dark, we headed back down the hill. Here's a picture of us up at the top.


When we got to the bottom, we decided the date STILL wasn't quite over, so we hiked a short ways back up the hill, found some rocks to sit on, and proceeded to play I-Spy. Here's a view of what we could see from our perch. We also talked about EVERYTHING that night. I felt like I had learned so much about him in such a short time, and everything I was learning about him made him seem like exactly the right guy for me.


When we finally decided that we'd better call it a night, we each guessed what time we thought it must have been. When we got down to the car we were SHOCKED to see what time it actually was. I can't remember the actual time, but it was 2 or 3 in the morning. We had been together for something like 10 hours. We just REALLY didn't want the date to end!

Tyler took me back down to my car at the Gateway. When he gave me a hug before sending me on my way, I just had this feeling that everything was SO right. I really think I fell in love with Tyler on our very first date. I know that's sappy and everything, but I really do love everything about Tyler. I can't believe how blessed I was to find him!

This has been the happiest 5 years of my life! I could not ask for more.

....Well, except maybe a little baby, who is planning to make his/her debut just weeks before our Fifth Wedding Anniversary!!!!




2 comments:

Amy said...

It was so fun to read the story of your first date! The ultrasound photos look perfect!! Congratulations!!

Brit said...

that was fun to read, I never know you met online, that's kinda funny! Congrats on everything!