Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Deep Thinking

So I was driving home from school and heard this random song. One of the lines in the song was, "she wants to stand where no one's ever stood." That got me thinking. Have I ever stood where no one's ever stood? I've been a lot of places, but I pretty much like to follow a well-beaten path to make sure I'll come out alive in the end. I have been some places that relatively few people have been, like the Northern valleys of Moloka'i that you can only get to by 2-day hike, or boat; and my parents land in Samoa, but other people have been there too. Thinking about this made me sad. I've never really been anywhere unique. That got me thinking about one of my favorite quotes by Ralph Waldo Emerson: "Do not follow where the path may lead, instead, go where there is no path and leave a trail." If I consider the statement metaphorically, yes, I have been where no one else has been. I have done things that no one else has done. That made me feel a little better. What about you guys? Ever stood somewhere no one's ever stood?

3 comments:

The Kammeyers said...

Interesting thoughts! I feel like I've been to some pretty amazing places... but not really anywhere where I've been the first! I'll keep you posted on that one. :)

The Horn Family said...

I feel like I've stood several places no one else has stood, as in the things I've experience in life. Our paths are all different, but intertwine with one another, so we sometimes have the same experiences, but experience them differently.

Lynne said...

Remember when we followed that kayak race to Molokai and camped on the beach? That was AWESOME! I loved that spring semester and that you let me be your friend so I could do awesome stuff with you and your family!