Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I knew I forgot something

I knew my weekend was worse than that..... I forgot to mention that I also got a speeding ticket on Saturday. I was driving through an open and empty field and got pulled over for going 39 in a 30 mph zone. On a Saturday. It was a $100 ticket. Honestly. HONESTLY. I know there are much be better things for cops to do. I was very calm when he pulled me over. Surprisingly so. Typically my heart races whenever I see flashing lights, even if I'm doing nothing wrong. I think most people feel that way. But this time, no queezy stomach. I pulled over, he asked for my information, I gave it to him. He told me I was speeding. He told me how fast I was going and I said that sounded about right. Then he asked how fast I thought the speed limit was and I told him, "well, since I'm in the middle of an open field way outside of town, I would assume the speed limit would be about what I was going." Then he told me it was 30. I was very obviously shocked. I let out an uncontrolled, "WOW". Anyway. After he gave me the ticket, I was still pretty calm. It wasn't until after he went back to his sqaud car that I sat there and balled. I was sobbing for about 5 minutes when I looked up and noticed he was still sitting behind me. I was a little embarrassed and decided it was time to leave. I drove to the cheese factory (my intended destination) and balled some more in the parking lot. I haven't had a ticket in over a decade. For those of you who are calculating, I was 16 and had just gotten my lisence. I learned my lesson and have been very careful ever since. Not careful enough I guess. Like I said before, I've been having a tough time lately.

5 comments:

The Kammeyers said...

Cops in Utah Valley are so ridiculous! They need to focus more on all the people who run red lights and cut people off, as opposed to driving through open fields. :) Seriously!

P.S. What cheese factory were you going to? I didn't know there was one around here...

The Kammeyers said...

Oh, I just realized you were probably in Cache Valley, since you mentioned you were in Logan this weekend... Duh! :) (Strike the Utah Valley comment then). :)

Cassie said...

I'm so sorry :( I got 2 speeding tickets in one week this year and I was balling in front of the officer hahaha. But at least I was legitimately speeding! Yuk yours was so un called for. Yeah he really taught you a lesson. grrr

Lisa O said...

Keep your chin up Maile! Tomorrow is always a new day. Thanks for keeping it real though. :)

Lynne said...

Honestly...speeding tickets are the worst. My only ticket was for speeding on a toll road here in CA. I was on my way to a client (late) in the middle of my busy season, and there were maybe 4 cars on the whole road. Granted, I was going 80 in a 65, but that isn't even bad for the area I was in. Everyone goes AT LEAST 80 on the fwy in south county, and I wasn't going any faster than anyone else. The police man came to my window, and said, "You were going 80, and you're getting a ticket; give me your license and registration." So rude. I didn't say one word, and after he gave me my ticket, I cried all the way to the client. I recognize that yes, I was speeding, but he was super rude about it, and I was already extremely stressed from work...it was just a bad day for a ticket.

That was a very long-winded way to say, "I'm sorry you got a ticket!"